PROJECT FALCON cont.

October 11, 2003: We decided to add some more bars to the cage to stiffen things up and make the car safer at the speeds we are running. We decided to X the door bars, add a diagonal bar in the top of the cage with parachute handle mount, add a window bar on the drivers side and switch the plastic seat out for an aluminum Kirkey seat. The new seat will have a gray velour cover.

October 18, 2003: We took the car to Sealy Texas to run it at an 1/8 mile track. During the first burnout the engine simply stopped running with no major noises or anything. After looking at the engine we thought the roll pin in the distributor broke since the rotor was not turning. We pulled the distributor and the pin was still in place but the gear was nicked up. We turned the engine over an the cam did not turn so we thought the pin in the cam had sheared. We put the hood back on and went home.

October 27, 2003: We finally had a chance to pull the engine and look into the problem. You know it can't be good when you pull the drain plug in the oil pan and get about 3 gallons of water, then the oil. We found #1 connecting rod lost the cap and kicked up towards the cam and broke the block. #5 connecting rod was twisted but stayed together. The crank and cam took a beating from the rod that was loose. Several of the pistons kissed the valves so there is sure to be several bent valves. The pin in the cam sheared as well as the grade 5 bolt with lock washer. We were sick when we saw a grade 5 bolt and lock washer used in the cam but the builder of this engine said it was acceptable even though Crane says you must use a grade 8 bolt and a hardened flat washer.

All David has to say about this is he is glad it happened in the burnout box and not at the other end of the track and he knows who he would not recommend to assemble an engine.

Jan. 30, 2004: The new short block is going together now. We had to order a custom aluminum oil pan from Canton to fit the chassis and hold enough oil for the high revving small block. We are waiting for a custom ground cam and for the rotating assembly to be balanced to finish assembling the engine. We also decided to go with a belt drive for this engine.

April 20, 2004: The Falcon is back in the chassis shop for more upgrades. We have decided to run a different event this year and will be running a power adder to be competitive. When the Falcon is finished it will be lower, have wheelie bars, parachute and rear wing. We are looking to run 5.40 at 130+ in the 1/8th.

July 7, 2004: The Falcon has taken a back seat while we relocated our shop to a much larger facility. The chassis upgrades and sheet metal work are almost complete and the engine will be finished within the next week. We upgraded the rear to Currie 35 spline axles with 5/8" studs. We will have to rewire the car and run a new fuel system that will support the new engine and Edelbrock nitrous system. We will also be removing the Granada disc brakes up front and replacing them with Wilwood drag brakes. It looks like we will be building the headers in house since no one offers a set for our body style and engine combination.

July 30, 2004: The chassis upgrades included an X in the rear of the cage, raising the rear shock mount, adding an X between the frame rails, new crossmember, moving the dash bar up inside the dash, adding front bars from the cage to the shock towers and drivers side rocker bar. We also decided to close the floor in with steel sheet metal welded in place to keep the car legal in our new class. All of the interior sheet metal will get a base coat of semi flat black and then a light coat of black and white spatter paint. The cage will remain semi flat black.

August 2, 2004: The motor is basically finished. The only items needed to finish the motor are the external oil pump and spark plug wires.

October 28, 2004: The motor is in the car now and the headers are being made. As soon as the headers are finished and ceramic coated we will pull the motor and head to the Dyno.

The interior is completely seam sealed, painted and ready for wiring.

November 18, 2004: The headers are built and ceramic coated, they are 2" primaries with 3 1/2" collectors. Now we have everything to dyno the motor.

December 30, 2004: The wheelie bars are finished and painted. Next weekend we plan on going to dyno the engine so we can start putting the Falcon back together for the final time.

Project Page 1 | Project Page 2 | Project Page 3
Project Page 4
| Project Page 6 | Project Page 7 | Project Page 8

Site Map
© 2015 David Kee Toploader Transmissions, Inc.