PROJECT FALCON cont.
September 2002: We
changed the rims to a set of Weld Drag Lites and went to a 10" rim
on the back with a Hoosier 10" DOT tire. We went to Fun Ford
Weekend in Ennis, Texas only to experience clutch tuning problems
all weekend. The Falcon would blow the tires off about 5 feet out
of the hole so we never made a clean pass. We pulled the clutch at
the track while a concerned crowd watched and waited to see what
we would find. We found a burnt and heavily glazed flywheel and pressure
plate. The weekend ended early for us.
January 2003: The
end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003 have been extremely busy in
the shop so we have not had any time to spend with the Falcon. The
clutch has been reconditioned and we will start tuning again in February.
February 2003: While
putting the car back together for this season we noticed the ladder
bars had been contacting the floor on both sides during launch. This
may explain some of our weight transfer / traction problems. The
car is back together and at the local fabrication shop of Ken Skloss
to remedy the problem.
March 2003: Now
there is plenty of clearance for the ladder bars and drive shaft.
We finally took time off to go out to the track on the 15th and made
5 runs. Since we are so busy in the shop and have very limited time
with the Falcon we decided to seek professional help to get the chassis
We asked Tracy Stapp
to come out to the track and see if he could help. Tracy has worked
with IHRA Pro Mod cars extensively and has experience with the type
of clutch we are using. Tracy is a fellow Ford man and pilots his
66 Fairlane to consistent 8.80's at 150 mph on the motor.
with the Falcon on March 15, 2003, corrected altitude 2100'
ladder bars to top hole in the front. Launch at 6200 rpm
tire pressure to 10 psi
tire pressure to 8 psi
launch rpm to 5800
from 1/8 mile
On the last pass of the
day David had to lift at the 1/8 because of drivetrain vibration
and noise. We could not determine what the problem was at the track
and decided to call it a day. The next day we looked things over
and found out the ring gear was missing two teeth and one was cracked.
A call to Strange Engineering was in order.
Project Page 1 | Project Page 2 | Project Page 4
Project Page 5 | Project Page 6 | Project
Page 7 | Project